Release date: January 5, 2018
Director: Mike Flanagan
Writer: Mike Flanagan, Jeff Howard
Cast: Kate Bosworth, Thomas Jane, Jacob Tremblay
Runtime: 97 Minutes
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror
Synopsis: In this intense and heart pounding supernatural thriller, Jessie and Mark decide to take in a sweet and loving 8-year-old boy, Cody. Unbeknownst to them, Cody is terrified of falling asleep. At first, they assume his previous unstable homes caused his aversion to sleep, but soon discover why: Cody’s dreams manifest in reality as he sleeps. In one moment they experience the incredible wonder of Cody’s imagination, and in the next, the horrific nature of his night terrors. To save their new family, Jessie and Mark embark on a dangerous hunt to uncover the truth behind Cody’s nightmares.
- No one ever really goes away. Not completely. Because they live in our minds, and in our hearts. In this story, that bully from school woke up in his bed, like nothing ever happened. And whatever made him so sad and mean, has gone. And that nice lady who cared for the boy, she came back to her husband, and they lived happily ever after. And daddy, daddy got the best present of all.
- You have an amazing gift. Who knows what can happen as it grows?
- Why do you have all these pills, Cody?
- None of the butterflies that appear early in the film have antennae. After a classmate draws antennae on Cody’s picture of a butterfly, however, all of the butterflies and moths in the film have antennae, a small detail that shows how Cody’s dreams are not only childlike, but easily influenced by others.
- There is a 14 year age difference between Thomas Jane and Kate Bosworth who play husband and wife in this film.
- Mark and Jessie watch the film House on Haunted Hill (1959) on TV.